Thursday 13 May 2010

The Edible Garden

I know gardening isn't usually top of the agenda round here but I'm going to go off on a tangent just for a moment because I have to tell you about Alys Fowler and her show The Edible Garden



Even if you're not particularly into gardening or perhaps you live in a flat with little more that a few pots you should still get yourself a cuppa and watch the 6 part series that aired on BBC2 while they're still available on the iPlayer.


The whole show is filmed with a relaxed, vintage, thrifty vibe which I love and know you will too. I came away feeling inspired after every episode. I also love the clips that look as thought they were filmed on a vintage piece of kit and the sweet illustrations.  


Alys's garden which is going to feed her and her hubby for the year has crops of veg and salad mixed right in there with the wild colourful flowers. This results in the most amazing plot that looks a little unruley at times but really, everything has its place and lives happily with its neighbors.


I don't think I've ever been so exciting about gardening until I watched The Edible Gardener but her enthusiasm is contagious. I now have beans, tomatoes, basil, mint, carrots, cucumber, rocket and lettuce in pots on my garden wall and some good tips on how to look after them :)


Please click here and let me know what you think. Am I on my own with my new found love of gardening? Give it 60 seconds and I'm sure you'll come around.


Psst...if you are interested I found a great article in the Guardian which has a really interesting piece on Alys Fowlers background including her time living in New York and some thrifty garden tips too boot.


Image Source bbc.co.uk


3 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness!! I've been desperately searching online for more clips, I've watched every one of them on YouTube twice! I wish we had the show over here, it's so amazing and inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg i loved this show when it was on!! i watched it every week!! Ive just started my edible garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Claire, what are you growing? I wish there had been a few more episodes, it seemed too short!
    I really hope i can get my camera fixed this week, my rocket and french beans have been going bananas in this hot weather an I wanna post some pics for you all to see :)

    ReplyDelete